Thursday, May 21, 2015

MURDER!

I really like the definition of "rhetoric" as bullshit.
The last sentence in the first paragraph states,"Every time you go to write anything (and every time you open your mouth), whether actively conscious of the purpose or not, you are making decisions about which words to use and what tone to establish as you order your thoughts based upon what is appropriate for your intended audience in that context." After I read that, I thought about it and I'm not sure if I totally believe that because there have been times where yes, I think about my words. I do not want anyone to misunderstand me or draw the wrong meaning from what I am saying. There have also been mis communications and times where what comes out of my mouth really is not what I meant.
The "murder detective case" surprised me. At first, I was not sure what to write. Then I was like, "Oh right, I got this. I am a screenwriter." I wrote how he got to the parking garage. Why he went to the parking garage. What he was wearing. What was in his pockets. All that good stuff. I may have even sneaked in a bit of his back story as a child but I always like to do that stuff when writing stories.
I will admit that I did not "obey the conventions of the genre." This murder detective mystery may have turned into a  drama when I started writing it.
There is so much to write about. After reading this essay, I want to comment on everything that struck a cord in me, or made me re-read it, or question it. I cannot write and give my opinion about it all. 
Lastly, I will mention my thoughts on "Learning to Love Your Inner Lawyer."  I have watched every single episode of Law and Order: SVU ever made. This part of the essay defiantly rang a bell with me. I also think it is interesting when Janet Boyd writes, If we envision in our minds the passionate delivery of these closing arguments, we might imagine that we have finally come close to the first definition of “rhetoric” that the American Heritage Dictionary online offers us, which is “the art or study of using language effectively and persuasively,” rather than that one-word definition my brave student once proffered."  
 The definition she gives us after that sentence, pretty much some it all up. 
Before reading this essay, I thought I knew what "rhetoric" meant. When I started reading, I changed my mind. It became too confusing to break it all down with all these examples. This definition brought me back. 

"Here I offer my definition: rhetoric is what allows you to write (and speak) appropriately for a given situation, one that is determined by the expectations of your audience, implied or acknowledged, whether you are texting, writing a love letter, or bleeding a term paper. "- Janet Boyd

2 comments:

  1. Natalie Frank,

    I’m inclined to agree with what your disagree, re: “making decisions” every time we “open [o]ur mouths.” If it’s subconscious or reactionary… that’s not so much of a “decision” in my book. Decisions, I think, are deliberate. Maybe it falls on a spectrum, though.

    And yes, I think you’re also right that pinning down “rhetoric” is tough. Luckily for us, we get to spend all summer thinking/reading/writing/studying it. Woo hoo!

    Excellent job here so far.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to ease us into your reading response.
    Definitely agree with you on two things; the whole sort of "think before you speak" mumbo jumbo and the actual definition of "rhetoric definition."
    I, too, after saying what I did not initially intend to say realised.. Hey, I didn't mean it that way. Y'know? To be completely honest, I RARELY think before I speak, I am a bit of an impulsive maniac.
    As for the rhetoric, I am still a bit confused as to what the true definition is.

    All aside, cool job.

    ReplyDelete